Skip to main content

Good Eatin'

 SOMEHOW I have just discovered the joys of roasted vegetables! As we say in the south "So good it'll make you slap your grandmaw!" You know I really don't know why that is a saying now that I think about it. There isn't a person I know that would really be brave enough slap their grandmaw. Down here it doesn't matter how old you are, or how old grandmaw is, she will "turn you over her knee and give you a spankin' you won't soon forget" or "hang you up by your toenails". They are old school, you don't mess with them. Back to the veggies! It happens a lot this time of year that I have a lot of random vegetables from the garden, but not enough of any one thing to make a whole dish. My new solution to this problem is to cut them up, throw them in a dish, and roast them. Oh my this is GOOD EATIN'!!! The tomatoes get almost a sweet sun-dried flavor, the onions almost caramelize, oh it just brings out the best in all of the veggies! I serve it over wild rice, add a grilled meat, or not, and dinner is done. Last night we had this with grilled salmon. It was a hit! Just in case some of you haven't made this discovery yet I'm going to share my recipe, if you can even call it that.

Roasted Vegetables:
cut up vegetables
olive oil
lemon juice
sprigs of rosemary
zesty lemon pepper seasoning
sea salt
parsley flakes (fresh would be even better!)

Put a little olive oil in the bottom of your dish (enough to lightly coat the amount of vegetables you have). Cut up and throw in the veggies. Sprinkle vegetables with lemon juice, salt, parsley flakes, and lemon pepper seasoning. Toss the vegetables to spread out the olive oil. Lay the rosemary sprigs on top. Bake on 475 for 45 minutes. Enjoy.


We dug in before I got a picture of the vegetables when they were done, but you get the idea! I posted my wild rice recipe a while back, you can find it HERE. If you have a favorite roasted vegetables recipe, or a way to use up the random vegetables from the garden, please share! xo, Sam

Comments

Eileen said…
Sounds great! I just made this one for July 4 and it is wonderful!
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47543430/ns/today-food/t/fire-grill-dig-steaks-memorial-day/
Kelli-Ann said…
Looks and sounds delicious!!Perfect for summer too :)
Becky said…
oh we just love roasted veg....have you tried adding a splash of balsamic vinegar..yummy..

on a different note, keeping grandma in prayer...hugs
Emily Monarch said…
We love roasted veggies too. We sometimes eat them on plain couscous. Also we love to mix them with al dente pasta, marinara sauce, and shredded cheese and bake.

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmade Dress Infomercial: Do you suffer from scrached DVD's?

Do your children cry when they can't watch their favorite movie because of irritating scratches? Are you sick of paying good money for movies that are scratched minutes after you take them from the case? Do you often wish that we could just go back to VHS because you could leave them out in the rain, bring them in and use them for a coaster, and then let the baby throw it for fun and it would STILL WORK!? ME TOO ! . We have struggled for years with scratched movies that were no longer watchable, but not anymore! We have finally found the secret formula to rid you of this nasty little problem forever! . Crest Kids Toothpaste! YES, that's what I said! Kids toothpaste! . A few months back I heard some place that toothpaste would take of scratches and I tried it and it didn't work, then the other day out of pure desperation I tried it my way. IT WORKED! So I decided this kind of news could not be kept secret, I have to tell the world! So I

New triple bunks.

Ben designed new bunk beds for the "girl's dorm" and "boy's dorm" in our house. We LOVE them!! We are almost done with all of the work, just a few loose ends left to tie up, but I couldn't wait to show off his handy-work. This is the girl set. We stained them with colored stain and we really like how that turned out. It's almost the color of cranberries. I still need to paint the boards that are attached to the wall. I'm going to paint them the color of the wall so that it looks like the beds are floating. :)  This is the boy set while still under construction. We ordered new bunk mattresses, but they haven't come in yet. I will show you guys pictures when they are completely finished. We stained these green, it looks like the color of bamboo. The kids LOVE these beds! And oh the space we have now! I'll be back soon with finished pictures! xo, Sam If any of you make beds using these plans could you send us a picture? We

A Wee Newborn Fairy Bonnet Pattern

I wanted to make something to go with the cardigan I made for my coming niece, so I decided on a wee fairy bonnet. I didn't find a pattern online and what I had in mind was simple enough, so I knit this one up and jotted down the pattern to share. ( matching cardigan ) So here is what you will need to get started.... Worsted weight yarn Size 9 knitting needles Size H crochet hook Finished measurements before seaming is 12" x 5 1/2". Cast on 52 sts Row 1-4: k every st Row 5: k4, P to last 4 sts, k4 Row 6: k3, yo, k2tog, k to last 5 sts, k2tog, yo, k3 (This will make a little buttonhole for the strap to thread through later, see picture above.) Row 7: k4, p to last 4 sts, k4 Row 8: k every st Repeat until piece measures 5 1/2", BO leaving a 12" thread tail. Fold piece in half, with right sides facing, and seam up the back using the thread tail. Making the Ties: You will follow th