Skip to main content

Our First Run


We had our first hospital run this weekend. Baby Caffee tried to make an appearance Friday afternoon. By the time we made it to the hospital I was contracting every 4 minutes, after a Brethine shot and another type of pill, they were every 2 minutes. I was scared. At one point my heart rate was in the 140's, I was seeing stars, I had a pounding headache, I was contracting almost constantly, and they couldn't give me anymore labor medicines. They tried one last thing, Demerol & Phenergan to just knock me out. Thank God it worked! They started spacing out and by early morning they had me pretty calm. I need 3 1/2 more weeks to make it to my goal of 37 weeks, it's going to be hard! I'm dilated, thinned out, and I don't have the pump as back up this time. Another thing I run into around this time of pregnancy is that sometimes the risk of the medicines to baby outweigh the benefit in the case that they come early anyhow, so if I go in and I need help, and it doesn't work fast (like this time) the may back of and let me go. They went ahead and gave me the steroid shots that mature baby's lungs faster, so that is a comfort to me. 


It's fight time! It's that point that I come to in every pregnancy of mine where I have to just fight for every single day. I was once told that for every extra day a baby spends in the womb, that's 2-3 days they are not in the NICU. It's uncomfortable, it's exhausting, it's hard on my family, it's crazy-scary at times, but it will soon be worth every minute! I took my knitting bag with me Friday, because I knew that I may need some distraction to calm me down. At one point during that miserable night I laughed when during one contraction I started slow breathing out of my mouth and knitting furiously with my hands and Ben said "Just knit through it baby!" Ha! Another funny moment came when I heard a nurse describe me as "the knitting red head". :) Sometimes those moments are like gifts, sent to calm your mind and heart with a little laugh, aren't they? I will say, I got that soaker done faster than I thought I would! Maybe we should look into knitting while in labor a little more? There might just be something to that! I will be back soon to show you that soaker, it needs to have the ends woven in and a couple of cute buttons picked out. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers friends! I feel so blessed to have them! xo, Sam

Comments

Me said…
Praying for you. I think I'm just about as far along as you and I've had more than enough scares this pregnancy.
Hannah
Unknown said…
Go Sam! Prayers going out that you make you goal. <3
Anonymous said…
Oh! how cute! and definitely praying you through! Praise Jesus!
Christine said…
Thoughts and prayers on the wing Sam! ~*~
Debbie said…
I'm praying, Sam!!!!!
Bless by Tone said…
Lord, I pray for Sam and the baby, I pray that the baby will be born healthy and at due time. I also want to pray that Sam this time will be able to keep the baby until the 37 weeks. You are our healer and You know how to do it. Thank you! In the name of Jesus, Amen
Melissa said…
The diaper cover is adorable. I love how you can write about such a tough situation with joy and thanksgiving. Your view of motherhood is encouraging and rare.
Leslie said…
Sam, praying and praying that you get to keep that little one in full term. Lord, protect both mama and baby during these precious and critical last few weeks of pregnancy. Prepare this newest blessing to be ready for the world and life outside the womb when their big day arrives. Surround Sam and her family with love and peace. Take away the worry of what may lay ahead and instead replace it with the surety that you will see them through.
Jan M said…
Prayers that little one stays put a little longer. The tiny soaker is just precious!
Every day you have that babe growing inside you is magic, keep growing little baby, you are where you need to be for just a little longer...relax and keep thinking of this baby in your arms in a couple more weeks.....youre nearly there...xxx
Anonymous said…
Praying for you and baby!
Renata said…
Praying for you & Baby. You're doing so well & I love that you can knit through contractions!!!
Blessings
Renata:)
Anonymous said…
Praying for you dearie.
Nell said…
Oh Sam! Hoping that precious baby stays right where it is just a bit longer. As someone who sailed through three pregnancies my heart always goes out to anyone who has difficulties.
Sending prayers!

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmade Dress Infomercial: Do you suffer from scrached DVD's?

Do your children cry when they can't watch their favorite movie because of irritating scratches? Are you sick of paying good money for movies that are scratched minutes after you take them from the case? Do you often wish that we could just go back to VHS because you could leave them out in the rain, bring them in and use them for a coaster, and then let the baby throw it for fun and it would STILL WORK!? ME TOO ! . We have struggled for years with scratched movies that were no longer watchable, but not anymore! We have finally found the secret formula to rid you of this nasty little problem forever! . Crest Kids Toothpaste! YES, that's what I said! Kids toothpaste! . A few months back I heard some place that toothpaste would take of scratches and I tried it and it didn't work, then the other day out of pure desperation I tried it my way. IT WORKED! So I decided this kind of news could not be kept secret, I have to tell the world! So I

New triple bunks.

Ben designed new bunk beds for the "girl's dorm" and "boy's dorm" in our house. We LOVE them!! We are almost done with all of the work, just a few loose ends left to tie up, but I couldn't wait to show off his handy-work. This is the girl set. We stained them with colored stain and we really like how that turned out. It's almost the color of cranberries. I still need to paint the boards that are attached to the wall. I'm going to paint them the color of the wall so that it looks like the beds are floating. :)  This is the boy set while still under construction. We ordered new bunk mattresses, but they haven't come in yet. I will show you guys pictures when they are completely finished. We stained these green, it looks like the color of bamboo. The kids LOVE these beds! And oh the space we have now! I'll be back soon with finished pictures! xo, Sam If any of you make beds using these plans could you send us a picture? We

A Wee Newborn Fairy Bonnet Pattern

I wanted to make something to go with the cardigan I made for my coming niece, so I decided on a wee fairy bonnet. I didn't find a pattern online and what I had in mind was simple enough, so I knit this one up and jotted down the pattern to share. ( matching cardigan ) So here is what you will need to get started.... Worsted weight yarn Size 9 knitting needles Size H crochet hook Finished measurements before seaming is 12" x 5 1/2". Cast on 52 sts Row 1-4: k every st Row 5: k4, P to last 4 sts, k4 Row 6: k3, yo, k2tog, k to last 5 sts, k2tog, yo, k3 (This will make a little buttonhole for the strap to thread through later, see picture above.) Row 7: k4, p to last 4 sts, k4 Row 8: k every st Repeat until piece measures 5 1/2", BO leaving a 12" thread tail. Fold piece in half, with right sides facing, and seam up the back using the thread tail. Making the Ties: You will follow th