Thursday, June 7, 2012

"older" family politics




I'm really just starting to see a few of the kinks that comes along with having older children and a babe. For instance, when I'm trying to train the little one, the older ones are just coming behind me spoiling her ROTTEN! When she gets a "no no" from mama she runs to them to get coddled. I've been calling them "brat-makers". They like the name and are really quite proud of it. :) What's so funny about the whole thing is that even more than I dislike it, even in those moments that it seems so counterproductive, I absolutely love to see that bond between them....and I secretly think "Yes sweet babe, you run to them and feel better, they will be in your corner for the rest of your life." So what are the secret, behind the scenes, family politics working in your home? xo, Sam

6 comments:

erin sews two said...

As an older sibling, we just gave the baby what she wants! However as adults we probably rue that policy since she still expects to get whatever she wants- including the last good Popsicle :)

cjoy said...

This is exactly what I have been watching and loving with my children recently -- "Bitsy" is 17 mos and the bonds between her and each of the 3 older ones is priceless. It makes my heart rejoice.

Kelly said...

I just found out we're having a surprise blessing in February! My girls are 8 and 4 1/2, so I think you just gave me a preview of the future! Something sweet to look forward to!

D-lyn said...

My older daughter is what I call the "kidnapper" She gets the baby out of the crib just as I put her down for a nap. Or I turn around and the baby isn't in the highchair, she swiped her to be her movie buddy. The list is even longer but you get the idea!

sometime I love it...
other times...
not so much!

Nell said...

The smallest person wields the power in this house. I think we probably all hold her a little closer and love her a little more because she is the last sweet babe.

Sarah said...

We have lots of this with my 4 year old, his siblings are 7, 12, 12, and 14. With 10 years between him and the oldest he gets lots of coddling. Now that he is 4 and getting older, they are having to deal with what they have created, and it isn't so fun. But they are still wonderful with him and I do love to see it!