Thursday, June 28, 2012

Hillbilly Candy




This is what we call hillbilly candy! All of the reds are gone before they make it to the house, and the greens get put in the kitchen window for later snacking. In our first years of gardening we couldn't figure out why, with all of those tiny-tomato plants (that's what the kids call them), we never seemed to have any in the house for omelets or salads?? We finally realized that they never actually made it through the door! So the last few years Ben has been planting enough tiny-tomatoes for us to snack and cook with. Smart man. :) They also like to snack on the green beans (raw) and cucumbers. We should name all of our hillbilly candy...green beans could be belly beans, the tiny-tomatoes could be....OK, so I'm no good at this! xo, Sam

6 comments:

Meghann said...

Peas are great raw and straight off the vine, too. So sweet!

Samantha Caffee said...

Yes they are!

MrsDG@TalesFromHomemadeHouse said...

I remember one year my youngest daughter (then 18 months) stripped every single tomato plant we had of both red and green tomatoes and scoffed the lot. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where all my lovely tomatoes had gone until later that evening when we found a ton of tomato seeds on the inside of her t-shirt. :D

Lillian said...

I came over for the bunk beds (from AT), but now I'm staying for the rest of your blog:) Loving reading your posts and can't wait to see more now!

Becky said...

my red ones are teeny seedlings still ( i was soo late) and now going to put some yellow cherry toms to seed...the kids love picking them off whenever we are out on the roof. xx

JaniceE said...

I've been enjoying hillbilly candy too. When I was growing up my brothers and I would eat veggies right out of the garden and now I'm doing it again! I really like this blog...