Skip to main content

Now I know why people do this full-time!

We are having the time of our lives! Right now we are in town (Charlottesville, VA) at a laundromat washing our dirty duds. We started out on the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina, our first stop to camp was Mount Pisgah National Park. It was a really nice place (with a shower!!) to camp. That is where we discovered how much Claire likes hiking. Who wouldn't like to hike like that?



They also had quite a few beautiful waterfalls. LOVE.


Monday we visited Biltmore. AMAZING! Did you know that kids 9 and under get in free? Yep, all of our kids got in free. Score! We made a day of it and the kids loved it! When we got back to camp Monday night we decided to move on, we packed up camp, like ninjas, and within an hour we were on the road Headed for Shenandoah National Forest. We pulled in sometime between 3 and 4 Tuesday morning. 
Our home for the next day or so is Loft Mountain National Park, our camp is just a few yards from the Appalachian Trail! I have to say, the campground here is awesome, each site has it's own little yard. The kids love it. I took a 5 minute shower this morning for $1! Ha! Yep, there are only a couple of pay showers, but I'm grateful for them!

Did I mention the view? God Really out-did himself here...There just aren't any words... 

I have NO IDEA where we may go next! And to tell you the truth, I don't even care! We feel like a whole new world has been opened up for us. I love waking up everyday knowing that we will remember that day for the rest of our lives! I hope to check-in again soon, but if I can't, I'll be back in 8 days! xo, Sam

Comments

SAnderson said…
Loved your pictures. My parents always took me and my brother camping in the Smokeys and Blue Ridge Mountains when we were kids. Mount Pisgah was one of the places we always stopped at. Thanks again for the post and pictures, it brought back some great memories of my own.
Sharly girl said…
Looks like y'all are having fun and can't wait to see the pics and hear the stories. Their aunt Kim said she can't wait to have them over when y'all get back. & Ben's rockin the 5 o'clock shadow lol.



Love,
The walls clan
affectioknit said…
What fun to see such lovely picture of my hometown in the fall...I really miss the mountains...
Kristin said…
So jealous! That looks like a lot of work...but sooo much fun! Your kids are going to remember this the rest of their lives. :)
Laurie said…
A wonderful time for your family!

My husband wants to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. I don't know that my feet can handle that.
Anonymous said…
O, Sam!! I'm loven your posts!!! I love C'ville, my son and his family live there - adn I love the mts and the Shenandoah Valley!! Hope you get to go up Humback adn to the visitor's center there!!!
Barbara O
Unknown said…
You are taking the most awesome vacations ever!! I'm jealous! I am heading to Charlottesville myself today, showing family around and taking them to Ash Lawn-Highland for some history. Hope you all enjoy your stay here in C'ville, its a great town!
Bethany said…
Man I am so jealous! I want to travel so bad :)
Oh look at your children growing up!! Gorgeous!!
My old neighbour from Sydney (Australia) lives in Charlottesville Virginia, she has the opposite to us with 3 boys & a girl. They have a beautiful life with all their own produce, even honey!! I love her life, right down to the red barns with white trimmings. Love Posie
I can see that you really love your family and your having good times together. Nice photos. Very inspiring story !

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmade Dress Infomercial: Do you suffer from scrached DVD's?

Do your children cry when they can't watch their favorite movie because of irritating scratches? Are you sick of paying good money for movies that are scratched minutes after you take them from the case? Do you often wish that we could just go back to VHS because you could leave them out in the rain, bring them in and use them for a coaster, and then let the baby throw it for fun and it would STILL WORK!? ME TOO ! . We have struggled for years with scratched movies that were no longer watchable, but not anymore! We have finally found the secret formula to rid you of this nasty little problem forever! . Crest Kids Toothpaste! YES, that's what I said! Kids toothpaste! . A few months back I heard some place that toothpaste would take of scratches and I tried it and it didn't work, then the other day out of pure desperation I tried it my way. IT WORKED! So I decided this kind of news could not be kept secret, I have to tell the world! So I

New triple bunks.

Ben designed new bunk beds for the "girl's dorm" and "boy's dorm" in our house. We LOVE them!! We are almost done with all of the work, just a few loose ends left to tie up, but I couldn't wait to show off his handy-work. This is the girl set. We stained them with colored stain and we really like how that turned out. It's almost the color of cranberries. I still need to paint the boards that are attached to the wall. I'm going to paint them the color of the wall so that it looks like the beds are floating. :)  This is the boy set while still under construction. We ordered new bunk mattresses, but they haven't come in yet. I will show you guys pictures when they are completely finished. We stained these green, it looks like the color of bamboo. The kids LOVE these beds! And oh the space we have now! I'll be back soon with finished pictures! xo, Sam If any of you make beds using these plans could you send us a picture? We

A Wee Newborn Fairy Bonnet Pattern

I wanted to make something to go with the cardigan I made for my coming niece, so I decided on a wee fairy bonnet. I didn't find a pattern online and what I had in mind was simple enough, so I knit this one up and jotted down the pattern to share. ( matching cardigan ) So here is what you will need to get started.... Worsted weight yarn Size 9 knitting needles Size H crochet hook Finished measurements before seaming is 12" x 5 1/2". Cast on 52 sts Row 1-4: k every st Row 5: k4, P to last 4 sts, k4 Row 6: k3, yo, k2tog, k to last 5 sts, k2tog, yo, k3 (This will make a little buttonhole for the strap to thread through later, see picture above.) Row 7: k4, p to last 4 sts, k4 Row 8: k every st Repeat until piece measures 5 1/2", BO leaving a 12" thread tail. Fold piece in half, with right sides facing, and seam up the back using the thread tail. Making the Ties: You will follow th