Skip to main content

All these emotions...

Wow. Today is really the first day since the tornado that I have been home. I've tried to write at night when I got home from the church a few times but I couldn't put any of it into words, I thought it was because I was just so tired emotionally and physically. No, it's just too much. It's heavy. In the past two weeks I've been with hundreds of people who have just lost everything, some have lost family members, I've hugged a mama while she cried about losing all of her kid's pictures, I've loaded supplies into cars with no windows and seats covered in glass, I've hugged and cried with people who have lost loved ones, I've handed formula to a mama who had been out and she cried.....the mamas get me. There are army trucks and National Guard men everywhere, cars on the road that don't even look drivable, it's like a war zone. My heart hurts when I see these areas of mass destruction and the people who have lost so much, then on the other hand my heart swells when I think of our new little Zoe! and all of the people who have come together to help. It felt so good to be a part of the relief effort handing out goods and supplies with other friends from the church and to see our community pull together and get to work! I cried when I read THIS about my new little niece, and when I received over $1000 dollars worth of Walmart gift cards from Terri and Dawn at Fairytale Frocks to give to people in need, or THIS post by my sweet friend Laura, the sewing community pulled together too! There are so many emotions from one extreme to the other that I feel like I'm on the verge of tears all the time...happy and sad. I'm so thankful that God protected my family...it missed mine and my sister's houses by barely a half mile. Daniel, Cristina, Luke and baby Zoe are doing great! We have many friends and family that lost "stuff" but none lost their lives. We are blessed. So very blessed. I'll try to write more soon. ~xo, Sam

Comments

Xi said…
I am very happy that you and your family are well.

Warm greetings from Santiago de Chile
Anonymous said…
It is such a blessing to help others. There is also a saddness that comes along with that. I think you expressed it very well. We do not live all that far from the destruction. We have watched it unfold on the tv, even with our own tornado warnings we had.
Kimberly said…
I sent a small care package off late last week. Really it was pure joy to be able to do something to help. Thanks to your friend Dawn for posting info so that we could share with y'all!

Take Care,
Kimberly from
"Simply Blessed"
Leslie said…
Oh Sam, this post my makes me cry. Both tears of grief for those that have lost so much, and tears of joy that your family and friends are safe, and also that you have such an amazing opportunity to shower these people with love.
Cindy said…
I'm so happy and thankful that you and your family are alive and well. Thank you for helping all the victims of those terrible tonadoes. My heart goes out to all those who are victims of the tornadoes and also the floods.

Hugs XX
Barbara
Renata said…
I cannot imagine all the emotions that you must be dealing with right now. I'm so pleased to hear that you are all safe, but my heart goes out to those who lost loved ones as well as all their physical belongings. Please know we continue to pray for you all
Blessings
Renata
Anonymous said…
Samantha,
I just came across something that may help you through your pain. If you go to the blog, Sew Gracious, she has a video with music of some of the devastation. As she is in Alabama, she understands what you are going through. Just listen to the words carefully as you watch.
Sue
Connie Raby said…
I just love reading your blog(s) and wanted you to know that I have an adopted daughter who is from Bulgaria. She is the joy of my life. We met 10 years ago and now she is 33, a US citizen, and an officer in the US Navy! I am so proud of her. I pray that your family receives continued blessings for all of your days!
Ellie Inspired said…
You are right, Sam, it is "heavy" and so very hard to put into words especially when you have been in the midst of it working and sharing comfort with others. We were all so happy to be able to do something to help you, however small. You were the one actually putting feet and hands to what we wanted to be able to do. You all have been very much in our prayers and will continue to be.
Rachel said…
I'm glad you are OK and your family is OK too.

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmade Dress Infomercial: Do you suffer from scrached DVD's?

Do your children cry when they can't watch their favorite movie because of irritating scratches? Are you sick of paying good money for movies that are scratched minutes after you take them from the case? Do you often wish that we could just go back to VHS because you could leave them out in the rain, bring them in and use them for a coaster, and then let the baby throw it for fun and it would STILL WORK!? ME TOO ! . We have struggled for years with scratched movies that were no longer watchable, but not anymore! We have finally found the secret formula to rid you of this nasty little problem forever! . Crest Kids Toothpaste! YES, that's what I said! Kids toothpaste! . A few months back I heard some place that toothpaste would take of scratches and I tried it and it didn't work, then the other day out of pure desperation I tried it my way. IT WORKED! So I decided this kind of news could not be kept secret, I have to tell the world! So I

New triple bunks.

Ben designed new bunk beds for the "girl's dorm" and "boy's dorm" in our house. We LOVE them!! We are almost done with all of the work, just a few loose ends left to tie up, but I couldn't wait to show off his handy-work. This is the girl set. We stained them with colored stain and we really like how that turned out. It's almost the color of cranberries. I still need to paint the boards that are attached to the wall. I'm going to paint them the color of the wall so that it looks like the beds are floating. :)  This is the boy set while still under construction. We ordered new bunk mattresses, but they haven't come in yet. I will show you guys pictures when they are completely finished. We stained these green, it looks like the color of bamboo. The kids LOVE these beds! And oh the space we have now! I'll be back soon with finished pictures! xo, Sam If any of you make beds using these plans could you send us a picture? We

A Wee Newborn Fairy Bonnet Pattern

I wanted to make something to go with the cardigan I made for my coming niece, so I decided on a wee fairy bonnet. I didn't find a pattern online and what I had in mind was simple enough, so I knit this one up and jotted down the pattern to share. ( matching cardigan ) So here is what you will need to get started.... Worsted weight yarn Size 9 knitting needles Size H crochet hook Finished measurements before seaming is 12" x 5 1/2". Cast on 52 sts Row 1-4: k every st Row 5: k4, P to last 4 sts, k4 Row 6: k3, yo, k2tog, k to last 5 sts, k2tog, yo, k3 (This will make a little buttonhole for the strap to thread through later, see picture above.) Row 7: k4, p to last 4 sts, k4 Row 8: k every st Repeat until piece measures 5 1/2", BO leaving a 12" thread tail. Fold piece in half, with right sides facing, and seam up the back using the thread tail. Making the Ties: You will follow th