Ben has been wanting me to wear a dress for a while now....You see, when I had Molly I started wearing skirts and shirts, because it was so much easier to nurse babies, and I haven't had a dress since. But since Ben asked for a dress I decided to give it a go. I have had the "Built By Wendy Dresses" book for a couple of months now but I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't really got past the muslin stage until last week. Last week when I got to feeling better I started out on a mission! My mission was to use the Built By Wendy bodice as a starting point to make the perfect fitting dress/ top go-to pattern for myself. Once I have that pattern just how I like it I can whip up a new top or dress anytime I want! Add that to the go-to skirt pattern that I already have, and hunny I'm all set! The dress above was my first try, it's OK, but it's a little big under the arms, I would like it to be a little longer, and it needs a little room taken out of the waist. I made this one out of a thrifted duvet cover, I thought I would probably never wear it because of the color but I think I like it now.
I did have three flowers (see how it looks like one is missing?) but one has disappeared, I'll make another one before I wear it again.
In the end it was a good thing that I made it too short, because that gave me my next idea.....a petticoat! Well really it's just a skirt (made out of the lining of a thrifted shirt that is now the shirt below) with wide crocheted lace along the bottom, but I love the layered look and I can use it under other skirts and dresses too!
See! It's all starting to come together now, the perfect skirt, with the perfect dress or shirt, that's like a whole wardrobe worth of mix and match clothing if I can get this right!
So then I made up this shirt out of a thrifted skirt. I took a little too much room out of the bust but it's pretty close to being exactly what I want.