Skip to main content

It's. Cold.




I mean IT IS COLD people! I told Ben the other night "I'm about to die of cold!" LOL! It looks like we will have a winter this year, and maybe even snow (the kids are just insanely happy about that).....but oh my, we are just not made for cold weather. We are the biggest cold wimps on the planet! Molly and I have decided that the people in Alabama are like lizards, we can only move slow in the cold.

This means that the wool socks have come out, but it just wasn't enough, no not at all....I felt like my toes could just break off any second! So I found this FREE slipper pattern and I got some wool yarn and made these babies. I love them! They are so cute and they keep my toes from breaking off too! I wish I had a better picture but turns out it's a little tricky taking a picture of your own feet. Who knew?



With all of this cold weather came another shift in our normal routine. We are spending a lot more time in front of the fire....it's funny how we can have all of this space but spend most of our time in a 8 foot area, but I like it. That's probably why I've always liked winter so much, it seems cozier and people tend to stay closer. I love my winter nest too!



This corner of our home is pretty dormant and empty for most of the year but I love the way it comes to life in the winter. Things start to collect there like blankets, pillows, projects, little shoes, gloves and hats, all those little signs of life. It's home, and I love it....and I love how our home and routines shift with the changing seasons. Happy Winter friends! And I hope your toes don't break off!

PS. I will be gone for a few days because heirloom market starts on Sunday, but I will be back when the dust settles with stories and pictures!

Comments

Unknown said…
I feel your pain! I actually regularly tell my husband that I have a lower freezing temperature than other normal people and might freeze to death much easier than the average bear- haha! :)
Love the socks-plus-slippers... And your little fire nook looks so cozy... lovely, really!
Stay warm, friend!!! :)
Hey friend. Where is the heirloom market?

Tannehill starts back in a couple of months. Drawing is Feb 2nd or around that date, for spaces. Can't wait.
Pomona said…
I have just been taking photos of my feet in the socks I have just knitted for my blog - I agree, it is really not at all easy! I wear two pairs of socks to keep my feet warm (and tights under my jeans as well)!

Pomona x
Elise said…
We are right beside you-geographicly{sp-?} speaking and FREEZING too!! Wow, this has been one cold winter!!
LOVE your home and those slippers!!
Elise
Mama Lusco said…
Thanks for sharing the slipper pattern...they are adorable! So glad you have a warm wood stove and cozy nest :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmade Dress Infomercial: Do you suffer from scrached DVD's?

Do your children cry when they can't watch their favorite movie because of irritating scratches? Are you sick of paying good money for movies that are scratched minutes after you take them from the case? Do you often wish that we could just go back to VHS because you could leave them out in the rain, bring them in and use them for a coaster, and then let the baby throw it for fun and it would STILL WORK!? ME TOO ! . We have struggled for years with scratched movies that were no longer watchable, but not anymore! We have finally found the secret formula to rid you of this nasty little problem forever! . Crest Kids Toothpaste! YES, that's what I said! Kids toothpaste! . A few months back I heard some place that toothpaste would take of scratches and I tried it and it didn't work, then the other day out of pure desperation I tried it my way. IT WORKED! So I decided this kind of news could not be kept secret, I have to tell the world! So I

New triple bunks.

Ben designed new bunk beds for the "girl's dorm" and "boy's dorm" in our house. We LOVE them!! We are almost done with all of the work, just a few loose ends left to tie up, but I couldn't wait to show off his handy-work. This is the girl set. We stained them with colored stain and we really like how that turned out. It's almost the color of cranberries. I still need to paint the boards that are attached to the wall. I'm going to paint them the color of the wall so that it looks like the beds are floating. :)  This is the boy set while still under construction. We ordered new bunk mattresses, but they haven't come in yet. I will show you guys pictures when they are completely finished. We stained these green, it looks like the color of bamboo. The kids LOVE these beds! And oh the space we have now! I'll be back soon with finished pictures! xo, Sam If any of you make beds using these plans could you send us a picture? We

A Wee Newborn Fairy Bonnet Pattern

I wanted to make something to go with the cardigan I made for my coming niece, so I decided on a wee fairy bonnet. I didn't find a pattern online and what I had in mind was simple enough, so I knit this one up and jotted down the pattern to share. ( matching cardigan ) So here is what you will need to get started.... Worsted weight yarn Size 9 knitting needles Size H crochet hook Finished measurements before seaming is 12" x 5 1/2". Cast on 52 sts Row 1-4: k every st Row 5: k4, P to last 4 sts, k4 Row 6: k3, yo, k2tog, k to last 5 sts, k2tog, yo, k3 (This will make a little buttonhole for the strap to thread through later, see picture above.) Row 7: k4, p to last 4 sts, k4 Row 8: k every st Repeat until piece measures 5 1/2", BO leaving a 12" thread tail. Fold piece in half, with right sides facing, and seam up the back using the thread tail. Making the Ties: You will follow th