Skip to main content

some behind the scenes action at The Handmade Dress


Welcome to The Handmade Dress loft. The loft has been momentarily taken over by patterns, pattern packers, pattern folders, paper that will become patterns, and bags that will soon be stuffed with patterns. Come on in and I'll show you around, just don't sit on any patterns.

Our next show is Thursday so for the last several days since market (and that rookie mistake I told you about) we have been pattern packing maniacs! We made a few temporary changes to the loft for this big pattern packing effort...you know, I really should have a better name for it than that, "pattern packing effort"?? That just sounds dumb. How about "The Big Print of 09"? Maybe it doesn't need a name. I think I've just gone delirious from all the late nights.....Back to the loft, well, it is now a pattern factory.




Before it looked like this. Where my nest (sitting area) was, now there is a desk for Ben and shelves for printing supplies. My sewing machines are off of my sewing table and now that space is used as another table to pack patterns and store the finished product. Pretty cute employees, huh? This is David and Zachary, Ben's brothers.

So if you need me this is where I will be until Wednesday when we go to set up for the show, in the loft turned pattern factory packing away! I hope you enjoyed the behind the scenes tour! Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to show you the signs I'm working on today, that is, if the sun comes out. We shall see! Happy Monday friends! xoxo,Sam

Comments

Unknown said…
I SERIOUSLY wish I lived closer...I would come help!

Karen
Goosegirl said…
Oh Sam, I would come help too!
I am excited for you and hoping that you sell out ALL of these patterns too! WOOHOO!!
Thanks for the tour. I almost felt like I was there.
Dawn said…
Oh, if only I was closer. You know I would be there to help too!...but, hey I need you to work out all the kinks so when it's my turn to pack up all of mine you can give me some pointers! I can't wait to here about the next show!
Jody said…
Looks busy. I'm excited for your opportunity. Have a good time.
Debbie said…
Sam-I'm so excited for you and praising the Lord with you for this coming weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmade Dress Infomercial: Do you suffer from scrached DVD's?

Do your children cry when they can't watch their favorite movie because of irritating scratches? Are you sick of paying good money for movies that are scratched minutes after you take them from the case? Do you often wish that we could just go back to VHS because you could leave them out in the rain, bring them in and use them for a coaster, and then let the baby throw it for fun and it would STILL WORK!? ME TOO ! . We have struggled for years with scratched movies that were no longer watchable, but not anymore! We have finally found the secret formula to rid you of this nasty little problem forever! . Crest Kids Toothpaste! YES, that's what I said! Kids toothpaste! . A few months back I heard some place that toothpaste would take of scratches and I tried it and it didn't work, then the other day out of pure desperation I tried it my way. IT WORKED! So I decided this kind of news could not be kept secret, I have to tell the world! So I

New triple bunks.

Ben designed new bunk beds for the "girl's dorm" and "boy's dorm" in our house. We LOVE them!! We are almost done with all of the work, just a few loose ends left to tie up, but I couldn't wait to show off his handy-work. This is the girl set. We stained them with colored stain and we really like how that turned out. It's almost the color of cranberries. I still need to paint the boards that are attached to the wall. I'm going to paint them the color of the wall so that it looks like the beds are floating. :)  This is the boy set while still under construction. We ordered new bunk mattresses, but they haven't come in yet. I will show you guys pictures when they are completely finished. We stained these green, it looks like the color of bamboo. The kids LOVE these beds! And oh the space we have now! I'll be back soon with finished pictures! xo, Sam If any of you make beds using these plans could you send us a picture? We

A Wee Newborn Fairy Bonnet Pattern

I wanted to make something to go with the cardigan I made for my coming niece, so I decided on a wee fairy bonnet. I didn't find a pattern online and what I had in mind was simple enough, so I knit this one up and jotted down the pattern to share. ( matching cardigan ) So here is what you will need to get started.... Worsted weight yarn Size 9 knitting needles Size H crochet hook Finished measurements before seaming is 12" x 5 1/2". Cast on 52 sts Row 1-4: k every st Row 5: k4, P to last 4 sts, k4 Row 6: k3, yo, k2tog, k to last 5 sts, k2tog, yo, k3 (This will make a little buttonhole for the strap to thread through later, see picture above.) Row 7: k4, p to last 4 sts, k4 Row 8: k every st Repeat until piece measures 5 1/2", BO leaving a 12" thread tail. Fold piece in half, with right sides facing, and seam up the back using the thread tail. Making the Ties: You will follow th