Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I had a wonderful birthday!

We didn't go anywhere except the candy store and nobody came over (Ben was at the fire station- we celebrated Monday night by going to the book store and dinner) and it really was perfect. At the candy store we got the ingredients for hot dogs, chocolate, and Diet Sunkist. Then we came home and spent the rest of the day watching movies and I practiced drawing some more. The kids were so sweet singing "Happy Birthday" at least six times. We watched one of my favorite movies from when I was about 11-12 "Wild Hearts Can't be Broken". They loved it! And now I remember why it was one of my favorites, it is such a good clean movie. (By the way it was an "Watch Instantly"movie on Netflix- I love the instant ones.)
These are the drawings I did today. It was a lot of fun and I feel like I did learn a lot. I did the one of Molly first, then Tim needed one, and you know what happened next. My little Madeline came up and sat right next to me and said "You daw me now Mama?" Who can resist that? Not me, especially when it involves something I'm lovin right now! The more I learn the more I realize that I still have a lot to learn. I need to work on color (yeah, I think Maddie's hair turned out a little pink when it was supposed to be reddish, oh well), and textures. I still haven't found and information on this digital drawing thing, so I'm still lookin if anyone has any recommendations.

14 comments:

Kuky said...

Happy belated birthday!

I think you're doing a good job with the tablet. I'm sorry I can't recommend any books or tutorials anywhere. It was basically trial and error for me.

Even in school it was the same: here's the pen, use it. There weren't any lesson plans or anything on it. It's just a tool.

But I have some suggestions. First of all do you have the software installed so you can access pressure sensitivity? I like mine with a firmer tip. If it's too soft I can't control the thickness of the line.

Also depending on how you want your drawing to look, you can actually download brush tips. Usually I just use a hard round brush. But I've also used a downloaded brush before that looks more like pencil sketching.

Ok this comment is soooo long, I'll stop. Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Kuky said...

Oh and layers. Layers are awesome. Let me email you an example.

cjoy said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful birthday!

And Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken is one of my long time favorites, too! There is a children's library book called "High Diving Girl" (I think) that would be worth reading -- and don't forget to read the last page that talks about the research for the story - neat!

alisaT said...

I searched forever yesterday to find you a good instructional blog or two, but I came up pretty unsuccessful. I don't know much about digital drawing though I would love to if I had the time. I just draw on paper and scan it in and then manipulate it in photoshop. i heart photoshop. i'll keep looking though and see if I can find you anything useful.

LOVE THE DRAWINGS BY THE WAY!!!

Joy said...

I third(?!) the trial and error thing. Most of what I learned about photoshop and my Wacom tablet, I actually learned from tutorials at 2peasinabucket (a scrapbooking site)- and then I sort of just jumped off from there. But I've never really tried to draw like you're doing here. But I can say, layers and brushes are your friends. I'm a lot of help, aren't I? Hugs to you, sweet friend. I am glad you had a wonderful birthday!

Pampered Brat said...

Happy Birthday!
I love your drawings....they look just like the kidos!

mommatothebear said...

The drawings are getting better! Great job! i'm glad you had a good birthday. :)

Familia Stilwell said...

So glad you had a great day with the ones you love doing what you love! Your pics are great!

Marqueta said...

Happy belated birthday! I'm so glad you have little ones to share life with-they help to heal the holes in our hearts, don't they?

Love,

Marqueta

Firefly Hill said...

These are fabulous...I want a drawing tablet and stylus badly so I can try this! Maybe Santa will bring...

Marlya said...

The drawings look great! What program are you using? I'm so glad you had a great day

muralimanohar said...

Wow...practice really shows!! They are looking really great!! :D

Jaime said...

Those drawings look great. They do have the style of the Dick and Jane books I think. I especially like the one of your son.

SHEILA said...

I love the drawings, all of them, but ESPECIALLY Molly on the blanket!