Skip to main content

My Kinda-Sorta Instructions/Tutorial to Madeline's Elastic Dress

I have definitely realized that I am with sewing, how my mom is with cooking. There is no exact, just a dash here and there, a little of this and a little of that! When you design these things in your head they are all images, it is hard to put in words sometimes. Here is my best shot, hope it's helpful. If you have any questions just ask. I know this is a stupid pic..... Shu-up. Ok, I stretched this dress over the chair to show you that 1. this dress is just like a mini pillowcase (a tube sewn up one side) and 2. that there is a little groove cut out on each side for an armhole.

Let's start with measurements, Madeline is 21 mo and she wears this like a short dress with bloomers (think Shirley Temple). Her measurements are 14' long x 36" wide.

You would just measure how long you want it, and add a little for hem allowance on bottom. Measure the child around for the width and double that. Sew up the side. So you start with your tube of fabric. You can add a band of coordinating fabric at the bottom like I did. With the seam on the left side iron flat.

Using this armhole guide cut out the groove for arms. This is just an example, I always just wing it. It's about 2" across and 2" down, this will work for most sizes.

Fold twice (1/4"-1/2") and hem bottom of dress, I just top stitched.

With coordinating fabric sew a casing for the elastic between the armholes at top.

Madeline's elastic was 6" long.

You will need to measure the child from underarm to underarm to get this measurement.

Run elastic in casing and when you get it about half way sew the elastic down at opening, then run it all the way and sew down the other side. Do this on front and back.

Finish the armholes with about 36" of bias binding on each side.

If you have any questions about this PLEASE just ask.

Comments

said…
So cute! Thanks for the tutorial!! I love the fabrics. So fresh and springy.
Anonymous said…
It's really cute! Thanks for the tutorial. :)
Louise said…
Just dropping by to say hi and thanks for your comment. I LOVE your work, it is all so delicate and pretty. Thanks for the tutorial - my 19mnth old will look adorable in that for this coming Summer and I'm thinking those shirred dresses are perfect for the older girls. Good on you for starting up your Etsy shop - mine hopefully isn't too far away. And I think your children are just gorgeous! Nice to meet you!
luxy said…
I just came across your blog and love love this dress. I've been debating on attempting a pillow case style dress with some flare for my little lady. This might just make me do it.

I also have a little esty shop, http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5025882 & a website (www.LULULUX.com).

Always cool to meet other moms that rock the sewing machine.
Unknown said…
just wanted to say, this is so cute.

I'm going to try it for my 21 month old too.
Tab said…
Quite beautiful. I have 4 nieces and another on the way, and I want to make them matchy stuff. Any tips on making the bloomers?
Kimmie said…
So sweet of you to share...how I long to be that kind of sewer...just whip it up out of your mind AND have it come out! I'd love to make one of these for the babies we are adopting from Ethiopia...I love your bloomers are they complicated??

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted
we love new friends!
V and Co. said…
i think i'll try this today! thanks!
Anonymous said…
Pretty nice site you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. BTW, why don't you change design :).
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the tutorial! Just finished it! Can't wait for summer! God bless your family!

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmade Dress Infomercial: Do you suffer from scrached DVD's?

Do your children cry when they can't watch their favorite movie because of irritating scratches? Are you sick of paying good money for movies that are scratched minutes after you take them from the case? Do you often wish that we could just go back to VHS because you could leave them out in the rain, bring them in and use them for a coaster, and then let the baby throw it for fun and it would STILL WORK!? ME TOO ! . We have struggled for years with scratched movies that were no longer watchable, but not anymore! We have finally found the secret formula to rid you of this nasty little problem forever! . Crest Kids Toothpaste! YES, that's what I said! Kids toothpaste! . A few months back I heard some place that toothpaste would take of scratches and I tried it and it didn't work, then the other day out of pure desperation I tried it my way. IT WORKED! So I decided this kind of news could not be kept secret, I have to tell the world! So I

New triple bunks.

Ben designed new bunk beds for the "girl's dorm" and "boy's dorm" in our house. We LOVE them!! We are almost done with all of the work, just a few loose ends left to tie up, but I couldn't wait to show off his handy-work. This is the girl set. We stained them with colored stain and we really like how that turned out. It's almost the color of cranberries. I still need to paint the boards that are attached to the wall. I'm going to paint them the color of the wall so that it looks like the beds are floating. :)  This is the boy set while still under construction. We ordered new bunk mattresses, but they haven't come in yet. I will show you guys pictures when they are completely finished. We stained these green, it looks like the color of bamboo. The kids LOVE these beds! And oh the space we have now! I'll be back soon with finished pictures! xo, Sam If any of you make beds using these plans could you send us a picture? We

A Wee Newborn Fairy Bonnet Pattern

I wanted to make something to go with the cardigan I made for my coming niece, so I decided on a wee fairy bonnet. I didn't find a pattern online and what I had in mind was simple enough, so I knit this one up and jotted down the pattern to share. ( matching cardigan ) So here is what you will need to get started.... Worsted weight yarn Size 9 knitting needles Size H crochet hook Finished measurements before seaming is 12" x 5 1/2". Cast on 52 sts Row 1-4: k every st Row 5: k4, P to last 4 sts, k4 Row 6: k3, yo, k2tog, k to last 5 sts, k2tog, yo, k3 (This will make a little buttonhole for the strap to thread through later, see picture above.) Row 7: k4, p to last 4 sts, k4 Row 8: k every st Repeat until piece measures 5 1/2", BO leaving a 12" thread tail. Fold piece in half, with right sides facing, and seam up the back using the thread tail. Making the Ties: You will follow th